Nikon officially announced the Nikkor Z 14-30mm f/4 S wide-angle zoom lens for its full-frame mirrorless cameras. The compact lens weighs just 485g (17oz) and supports screw-in (82mm) filters.
Featuring a new optical design, the compact and lightweight NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S delivers the high level of optical performance that still and video creators expect from the NIKKOR name. By utilizing the larger diameter and technological benefits of the Z Mount, Nikon was able to design an ultra-wide-angle lens that delivers superior optical performance and maximizes the potential of high pixel-count digital cameras such as the 45.7-megapixel Nikon Z 7. Additionally, the design features a nearly flat front lens element, making the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm the world’s first filter-attachable ultra-wide-angle zoom lens covering a focal length from 14mm.
NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S Lens Features
- Support for a range of focal lengths that allows users to enjoy dynamic expression from the ultra-wide-angle 14 mm to the highly practical wide-angle 30 mm commonly used to capture a wide variety of subjects and scenes
- The world’s first full-frame ultra-wide-angle zoom lens starting at 14 mm focal length to support filter attachment
- A retractable mechanism that works without buttons helps achieve compact portability while supporting immediate shooting
- Outstanding optical performance that delivers excellent image and video quality throughout the entire zoom range
- Optics for which four ED glass and four aspherical lens elements have been adopted ensure excellent resolution, across all edges of the frame, from maximum aperture
- Nikon’s exclusive coating technologies, including Nano Crystal Coat, effectively suppresses ghost and flare for clear images
- A constant maximum aperture of f/4 throughout the entire zoom range maintains exposure settings while the zoom function is in use
- A control ring that demonstrates superior operability with quiet and smooth operation
- Focus breathing control that is effective not only with movie recording, but also for focus shift shooting
- Designed with consideration to dust and drip resistance; fluorine coat effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease, and dirt
- Adoption of a stepping motor (STM) realizes a fast, quiet, and accurate AF drive for both still-image and movie recording
- An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism enables extremely precise aperture control
Nikon NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S MTF chart:
The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S: An Exceptional Combination of Portability and Performance
The new 14-30mm lens was designed for photo and video shooters looking for a sharp ultra-wide zoom lens with which to seek out gorgeous landscapes or cityscapes on their next travel adventure, and is an excellent choice for capturing interiors, architecture or events. It’s a lens for those who need to pack light without sacrificing image quality – an ultra-wide-angle lens that delivers portability and performance that pushes the boundaries of what is optically possible in a lens of its size.
- Lightweight and Ultra-Portable: At just 3.5-inches long when retracted, and weighing only 485g/1.07lbs, the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S is approximately 28.6% lighter and 32% shorter than the popular AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR, and approximately 51.5% lighter and 35% shorter than the tried-and-true AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED for the F mount.
- Uncompromising Optics: Featuring a new optical formula that utilizes four Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) elements and four aspherical elements, the 14-30mm f/4 offers unparalleled control of distortion and chromatic aberration. Additionally, the use of Nikon’s anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat effectively reduces ghosting and flare, delivering clearer images that maintain contrast in challenging lighting situations.
- Filter Attachable: For the first time on a 14mm FX-format (full-frame) lens1, photographers will be able to attach various types of screw-on filters (82mm) to the front of this ultra-wide-angle lens, infinitely expanding the creative possibilities of the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S for landscape and cityscape photographers, videographers and more.
- Stepping Motor Technology: Featuring the latest Nikon Stepping Motor (STM) technology, the new lens provides smooth, fast and quiet AF performance—ideal for photographers shooting in sensitive environments, as well as videographers who must avoid focus noise in productions.
- Control Ring: As with the rest of the S-Line of NIKKOR Z lenses, the 14-30mm f/4 includes a customizable control ring that can be assigned to manual focusing, exposure compensation or aperture control depending on personal preference or shooting situation, maintaining different custom settings when in photo and video mode.
- Fully Compatible with In-Camera 5-Axis VR: To help ensure the sharpest possible images and most stable video, the new NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S is fully compatible with the in-body 5-axis VR found in the Nikon Z 6 and Z 7, providing up to 5 stops2 of image stabilization without adding to the size or weight of the lens itself.
- Optimized Video Performance: In addition to the speedy and near-silent stepping motor technology and customizable control ring, the lens reduces focus breathing, preventing the angle of view from changing unintentionally when adjusting focus.
- Reliability: The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S is designed with consideration to dust and drip resistance, and features a fluorine coat that effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease and dirt.
Regardless of what is next, stay tuned to our website to find out the latest digital camera news and Nikon Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!