Sony has announced the new Alpha A99II full-frame interchangeable-lens camera.
The Sony A99II features a 42.4-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, 4K video recording and a 5-axis in-body image stabilisation mechanism providing a 4.5-step shutter speed advantage. The sensor allows for 12 fps burst shooting with continuous AF/AE and a top ISO of 102,400.
As with its predecessor this is a Translucent Mirror camera, which splits light between the sensor and an AF module near the EVF. The new Sony A99II will start shipping in November, priced at approximately $3199.
|Check the camera stores for availability|
|Sony A99II Camera||$3,199.95||Amazon | B&H | Adorama
Sony launches new flagship ɑ A-mount camera, the A99II
The new camera boasts a newly developed “4D Focus” system capable of full-time auto focus. Sony’s Hybrid Phase Detection AF System is enabled by combining a precision 79-point dedicated phase-detection AF sensor with 399 focal plane phase detection AF points to produce a 79 hybrid cross AF-point array.
These cross points are promising to deliver incredibly precise autofocus performance and advanced subject tracking of any moving objects right across the image.
Sony A99II Key Features
- Full-frame 4D Focus: Innovative Hybrid Phase Detection AF system with accurate 79 hybrid cross AF points enabled by 79-point dedicated and 399-point focal-plane AF sensors and continuous shooting at up to 12fps
- High resolution 42.4 effective MP 35mm Full-frame Exmor R™ CMOS sensor
- Newly developed optical 5-axis in-body image stabilisation system
- Outstanding operability and reliability in newly designed downsized body
- Internal 4K movie recording in XAVC-S format with host of pro-orientated movie features
The Sony A99II can capture 4K at 100Mbps (using XAVC S) with full sensor read-out and no pixel binning. A ‘Slow and Quick’ mode lets users jump between 1 and 120 fps at the push of a button. All of the capture tools you’d expect are available, including zebra patterns, time code, S-Log2 and S-Log3 profiles and 4:2:2 output over HDMI.
The new shutter unit is also more durable and has passed endurance tests in excess of 300,000 shutter actuations.