Nikon today revealed a new line of KeyMission cameras that encourage users to discover, capture and share their personal missions from an entirely new perspective
Nikon first unveiled the KeyMission 360, a shockproof and waterproof spherical 360-degree action camera back in early 2016. Now the company is adding two new action cameras to the KeyMission lineup. First one is the 4K UHD-capable KeyMission 170 which offers a 170 degree field-of-view. The other one is the KeyMission 80, a small 1080p-capable wearable/lifestyle camera with an 80° field-of-view.
The new Nikon KeyMission 170, an adventure-ready camera capable of capturing both stills and 4K video through its UWA lens, as well as the KeyMission 80, a compact and lightweight camera for capturing the spontaneous moments of everyday life. The KeyMission 170 is waterproof (33 ft.), shockproof (6.6 ft.) and freezeproof (14°F) without a housing, and comes with a 170° lens and 8.3-megapixel imager. The KeyMission 80 has a 12-megapixel main camera with an 80° lens plus a front-facing secondary camera with a 90° lens, and is waterproof to 3.2 ft, shockproof to 6 ft and freezeproof to 14°F.
Nikon also announced a new SnapBridge 360-170 app and desktop utility. The app pairs with KeyMission devices and can be used to shoot remotely and change settings. The desktop utility can be used to trim clips and push them to Youtube.
All three KeyMission action cameras will be available in October. The KeyMission 360 will retail for $499, the KeyMission 170 will sell for $399 and the KeyMission 80 will go for $279.
Nikon Announce New KeyMission Action Cameras
WHAT’S YOUR MISSION? EXPERIENCE THE CAPTIVATING JOURNEY OF DISCOVERING, FULFILLING AND SHARING YOUR LIFE’S MISSIONS WITH NIKON’S NEW LINE OF KEYMISSION CAMERAS
The New Nikon KeyMission 360, KeyMission 170, and KeyMission 80 Enable Storytellers and Adventurers to Break Traditional Boundaries and Tell Stories Through Captivating Content
COLOGNE, GERMANY (September 19, 2016) – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the new line of KeyMission action cameras that encourages users to discover, capture and share their personal missions from an entirely new perspective. Rooted in Nikon’s legendary excellence in imaging innovation, this new camera lineup offers users a hands-free way to push the limits and document their adventures through high-quality immersive video that puts the viewer in the middle of the action. Previewed at CES 2016, the rugged KeyMission 360 is the first Nikon camera capable of full 360° video in 4K UHD, providing users a unique way to create engaging content like never before. Also introduced today is the new Nikon KeyMission 170, an adventure-ready camera capable of amazing stills and 4K UHD video at a wide-angle point of view, as well as Nikon’s KeyMission 80, a compact and lightweight camera for capturing the spontaneous moments of everyday life.
Nikon’s KeyMission line is based on the belief that life is about discovering new people, new places, new knowledge and new purpose – that each individual is on a journey to find their personal mission that brings out the best version of oneself. The world is a better place when we experience and share our adventures, our stories and our loves; The KeyMission line provides a new way of seeing and sharing these missions with the world.
“The KeyMission series introduces amazing new tools for everyday storytellers eager to find and pursue their personal missions while sharing their loves with the world,” said Kosuke Kawaura, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc. “History is full of stories told from behind the camera – the KeyMission 360, KeyMission 170 and KeyMission 80 will challenge tradition and invite users to embark on a journey to share their missions from entirely new, immersive perspectives.”
Nikon KeyMission 360 – Fulfill your mission in full, immersive 360° video
Challenging the traditional boundaries of content capture, the Nikon KeyMission 360 gives storytellers the ability to explore, experience and share their missions like never before. The entire environment becomes one’s canvas, with Full 360° video ready to preserve an immersive chronicle of the moments that matter. Whether capturing a first skydiving experience, preserving an epic underwater adventure or immortalizing a child’s first birthday party, the KeyMission 360 allows users to see the world differently and easily share what they love.
- Capture amazingly sharp, true 360° video in 4K UHD at 24p [3840 x 2160]1 or Full HD (1080p) that puts the viewer at the center of your journey
- Two f/2.0 lenses and two 20-megapixel CMOS sensors combine to create stunning videos and photos without blind spots2
- Automatic in-camera stitching cuts down on the previously daunting editing process while eliminating the need for multiple cameras or specialized, expensive rigs, making it easy to share on supported 360° content platforms
- Customize videos with shooting modes like Superlapse, Time-Lapse or Loop Movies that help provide unique perspectives of any story – or capture 360°, 30-megapixel still images
- An in-camera stereo microphone helps provide crisp and clear accompanying audio, while Electronic Vibration Reduction (VR) is available after-capture to help steady playback
- Extremely compact and waterproof (98 ft.), shockproof (6.6 ft.) and freezeproof (14° F) rugged design, no housing required, helps ensure you are ready to fulfill your mission, wherever the journey takes you
- Share completely stitched, immersive content in full 360° from either a compatible smart device or desktop computer:
- The new Nikon SnapBridge 360/170 app3 for iOS and Android devices4allows users to access camera settings, simple editing functions or live view and share content directly
- For more advanced editing functions, the KeyMission 360/170 Utility program for PC and Mac users opens up a new world of editing options for more discerning visual storytellers
- Included alongside the camera are a variety of accessories and mounting solutions that will help visualize a variety of activities, including a Base Mount Adapter, two Base Mounts, Silicone Jacket for added grip and protection, two lens protectors and a cardboard-style head mounted display that, alongside a compatible smartphone, allows for fully immersive playback
- The KeyMission 360 uses a standard 1/4 in. tripod socket to which a variety of different mounts and accessories can be used with the included base adapter. It is also compatible with an optional remote control
Nikon KeyMission 170 – Experience life’s missions from a true POV experience
In a visual world where we learn through both our own personal experience and the shared experiences of others, the Nikon KeyMission 170 lets users tell stories from an individual’s point of view. It’s easier than ever to relive life’s adventures in fantastic quality, and transport the viewer right into the action to enjoy the moment as if they were there. Tethered to a surfboard or mounted to a backpack on the family hike, the KeyMission 170 helps bring any incredible journey to life.
- A super-wide 170° angle-of-view, f/2.8 lens and 8.3-megapixel CMOS sensor combine to capture brilliant 4K UHD or 1080p Full HD video
- Creative tools help users create unique and engaging content for sharing, including Highlight Tagging which helps create a highlight reel montage of the user’s favorite content, slow motion movies, Time-Lapse and Loop Recording
- Capture high-quality still images during video recording, while in-camera Electronic Vibration Reduction (VR) (1080p HD) helps minimize camera shake
- The compact and rugged KeyMission 170 is waterproof (33 ft.), shockproof (6.6 ft.) and freezeproof (14° F) without a housing, always ready for your next adventure
- The camera sports a rear LCD that helps frame shots in live view, play back video and change settings with ease
- Users can utilize the Nikon SnapBridge 360/170 application for simple editing, framing and sharing, while the KeyMission 360/170 Utility program for PC or Mac offers more advanced editing capabilities
- The camera features a standard 1/4 in. tripod socket which alongside the supplied base mount adapter, connects to all other KeyMission accessories
- The KeyMission 170 also comes with a remote control accessory, useful for stopping and starting recording or creating tags while capturing exciting new content
- Optional Waterproof Housing available to extend underwater performance to 131 ft.
Nikon KeyMission 80 – Live your mission and let the camera do the rest
Life is full of spontaneous moments, and the wearable Nikon KeyMission 80 is always ready to capture life’s everyday adventures, making sure you enjoy the moment while the camera takes care of saving the memory. Whether conquering your next hike, exploring the streets of Rome or simply playing catch in the backyard, the KeyMission 80 is there to easily and effectively capture your mission.
- Using the camera’s Time-Lapse recording and interval timer functions will allow users to chronicle life’s journeys with hassle-free high-quality stills or Full HD 1080/30p video
- Beautiful stills and video are made possible utilizing a 12-megapixel CMOS sensor and 25mm (80° angle-of-view) f/2.0 lens
- A secondary front-facing 5-megapixel camera with a 22mm (90° angle-of-view), f/2.2 lens helps users seamlessly snap selfies on the go
- Small, rugged and lightweight, the KeyMission 80 is ready to capture fleeting shots at a moment’s notice. Easy to use one-handed, it turns on immediately after being unclipped from its camera holder ensuring users don’t miss out on their next precious memory
- Waterproof (3.2 ft.), shockproof (6 ft.) and freezeproof (14° F), the KeyMission 80 will go with you almost anywhere
- Versatile 1.75-inch touch LCD display lets users easily change settings, frame shots or play back captured content
- Use Nikon’s SnapBridge app for seamlessly sharing via Bluetooth5 or Wi-Fi6
KeyMission Mounts and Accessories
Introduced alongside Nikon’s KeyMission line of action cameras are numerous optional mounts and accessories that will help users creatively capture unique content from a variety of different perspectives. Available accessories include:
- Compatible with all KeyMission Cameras – KeyMission Tripod7, KeyMission Extension Arm7, KeyMission System Case (soft case for accessories and cameras), KeyMission Hard Case (hard case for accessories and cameras)
- Compatible with KeyMission 360 and 170 – Remote Control Accessory (supplied with KeyMission 170), Helmet Strap, Wrist Mount, Handlebar Mount, Chest Mount, Surfboard Mount, Backpack Mount, Suction Cup Mount, Handy Grip
- Compatible with KeyMission 170 – Waterproof Case (extends underwater performance to 131 ft.)
- Compatible with KeyMission 80 – Tripod Adapter
Price and Availability
The new Nikon KeyMission products will be available starting in October 2016. The KeyMission 360, KeyMission 170 and KeyMission 80 will be available for suggested retail prices (SRP) of $499.95*, $399.95* and $279.95*, respectively. Accompanying mounts and accessories, the Nikon SnapBridge 360/170 application and KeyMission 360/170 Utility program for PC will also be available starting in October 2016. For more information on these new Nikon products and pricing for optional accessories, please visit www.nikonusa.com.
1 Data is recorded in 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) resolution, but the resolution of videos when viewed differs depending on the type of display or display magnification.
2 The camera may be unable to capture subjects within about 60 cm/2 ft. from the camera’s top, bottom, or sides because the subjects are outside the angle of view (i.e., the area visible in the frame). Point the lens toward important subjects when shooting. Under some shooting conditions, the boundaries of the composited areas may be misaligned.
3 Since KeyMission 360 doesn’t have a monitor, the dedicated app “SnapBridge 360/170” is required to set up this camera, use remote photography, play back images, change settings, and more. Before setting up the camera, install the dedicated app on your smartphone or tablet. Wireless communication is not available when the camera is underwater.
4 This camera’s built-in Wi-Fi® capability can only be used with a compatible iPhone®, iPad®, and/or iPod touch® or smart devices running on the Android™ operating system. The Nikon SnapBridge 360/170 (for KeyMission 360 and 170 cameras) or SnapBridge (for KeyMission 80 camera) application must be installed on the device before it can be used with this camera.
5 The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Nikon Corporation is under license.
6 Wi-Fi and the Wi-Fi logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
7 Compatible with KeyMission 80 when used with optional Tripod Adapter
*SRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.