Canon has officially announced its prosumer DSLR camera; the EOS 80D with a newly developed 24.2-megapixel APS-C sensor.
The Canon EOS 80D is a new mid-range DSLR camera designed for capturing stills and video. The EOS 80D features a 24.2 megapixel CMOS sensor and DIGIC 6 processor, alongside a new 45 all cross-type point AF system, native ISO 100-16,000 range, expandable to ISO 25,600, and fast responsive 7fps shooting rate.
Canon claims its new AF module, a notable improvement over the 70D’s 19-point system, is capable of focusing in low light conditions down to -3EV at the center point. Dual Pixel AF now offers continuous focus, and all pixels are able to perform phase detection focus while being used for still imaging. Video recording is offered at an improved 1080/60p.
Canon EOS 80D DSLR Camera Officially Announced
|[Body only]||$1,199.95||Amazon | B&H | Adorama
|w/ EF-S 18-135mm kit||$1,799.95||Amazon | B&H | Adorama
- 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- 3.0″ 1.04m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps
- 45-Point All Cross-Type AF System
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Expanded ISO 25600, Up to 7 fps Shooting
- Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC
- RGB+IR 7560-Pixel Metering Sensor
Updated features in Canon EOS 80D DSLR Camera include:
- New 45-point all cross-type AF system
- Intelligent Viewfinder with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage
- Newly Developed 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor
- DIGIC 6 image processor for enhanced image quality
- Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF for smooth, fast and accurate autofocus with video and stills
- Built-in Wi-Fi 2 and NFC2 capability for easy transfer of images and movies to compatible mobile devices
- 1080/60p Full HD video to capture brilliant results in MP4 format for easy movie sharing on select social networking sites
- Vari-angle Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD II monitor enables flexible positioning and clear viewing even outdoors
“In today’s world, where everyone is a photographer or videographer, we at Canon are looking to provide the tools and features that help creative-minded people stand out from the pack and get noticed. The right technology cannot make someone creative, but it will help bring a creative vision to life,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “The right combination of camera and lens helps those with a vision stand out and be recognized. We look forward to seeing what this new generation of passionate artists will create with these new tools.”
New AF System and Dual Pixel CMOS AF
The 45-point all cross-type viewfinder AF system in the new Canon EOS 80D DSLR camera, compared to 19-points in the Canon EOS 70D DSLR camera, is now wider both horizontally and vertically for easier compositions with off-center subjects. Low light AF performance has been improved all the way down to EV-3 at the center point to achieve sharp results even in extreme low-light situations. The camera’s AI (Artificial Intelligence) Servo AF II autofocusing system utilizes color tracking with a 7,560-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor that automatically detects skin tone and colors to enhance tracking sensitivity, even with moving subjects that are rapidly changing pace or direction. Enhancing the ease-of-use of the new AF system is the Canon EOS 80D’s new Intelligent Viewfinder which features approximately 100% viewfinder coverage. The full coverage helps prevent photographers from missing objects that are in the corners of the scene, which can reduce the need to crop images later on.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF employs a new Canon CMOS sensor with which all of the effective pixels are able to perform both still imaging and phase-detection AF simultaneously to achieve dramatically improved AF performance during Live View and video shooting. The Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology in the Canon EOS 80D camera features enhanced tracking sensitivity and is compatible with the full line of Canon EF Series lenses, including the new Canon EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM standard zoom lens.
The Canon EOS 80D Digital SLR camera and EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens are currently scheduled to be available in March 2016 for an estimated retail price of $1,199.00 for the body only, $1,799.00 with the new EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens and $599.99 respectively.
The Canon Power Zoom Adapter PZ-E1 and Directional Stereo Microphone DM-E1 are currently scheduled to be available in June 2016, for estimated retail prices of $149.99 and $249.99 respectively.
For more information visit, www.usa.canon.com/eos.
1. The number of AF points, cross-type AF points and dual cross-type AF points vary depending on the lens used.
2. Compatible with iOS® versions 7.1/8.4/9.0, AndroidTM smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.
3. As of 2/17/2016.
4. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.