DxO has announced the new DxO One pocket-size camera that pairs perfectly with your iPhone, so you can take amazing photos anywhere.
The 20.2-megapixel DxO ONE is a premium camera that attaches to your iPhone or iPad via the Lightning connector, turning the smartphone/tablet display into the camera’s viewfinder.
The DxO ONE is a raw-capable camera module featuring a 1″-type sensor and a 32mm (eq.) f/1.8 lens with a 6-bladed aperture diaphragm. The price of DxO ONE is $599 in US, you can pre-order now at DxO.com. The camera is expected to ship in September.
DxO ONE Connectable Camera Features
- Tiny size. The DxO ONE measures under 3 inches tall (7.6 cm) and weighs just 4 ounces (108 g). It fits easily in any pocket or purse so it goes everywhere you do.
- Exceptional image quality. The DxO ONE achieves a DxOMark Sensor Score of 70, and up to 85 when using the SuperRAW™ technology, on par with full frame DSLRs and dramatically higher than any smartphone. DxOMark is the industry-standard protocol for camera and lens image quality assessment, used throughout the camera industry and photography press.
- Direct connectivity. While you can use the DxO ONE in standalone mode, the Lightning connector allows it to attach directly to your iPhone®, turning your screen into the camera’s viewfinder. The pedestal rotates +/- 60 degrees so you can take pictures from creative high and low angles.
- Advanced Controls. The free companion app for iOS lets you control every setting on the ONE camera like aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, and opens access to advanced shooting modes. The App also allows for seamless camera firmware updates via the App Store, meaning your ONE camera will always be up-to-date with the latest features.
- SuperRAW™ format. DxO’s new proprietary file format takes four RAW images and merges them into one to bring you beautifully dynamic photos, even in extremely low light.
- Includes DxO Software. Every purchase of a DxO ONE camera includes copies of DxO Connect and DxO FilmPack Elite Edition. DxO OpticsPro Elite Edition is also offered free with purchase for a limited time
DxO introduces revolutionary DSLR-quality camera that attaches directly to the iPhone®
The pocket-sized DxO ONE features a 20.2 MP 1-inch sensor and a high-end f/1.8 lens
San Francisco, California and Paris, France—June 18, 2015—DxO, a world leader in digital imaging technologies, today introduced the DxO ONE, a revolutionary camera that delivers DSLR image quality in an extremely compact size. At 3.8 oz (108 g) and 2.65” (6.9 cm) tall, the DxO ONE is so small that it easily fits in a pocket, yet it features an ultra-high quality f/1.8, 32mm equivalent aspherical lens with a variable 6- blade iris and a 1-inch 20.2MP CMOS BSI sensor capable of capturing high-resolution images even in very low light.
Made of high-grade aluminum, the DxO ONE is a premium camera that has been engineered with the iPhone and iPad® in mind: it attaches via the LightningTM connector, turning the beautiful iPhone display into the camera’s viewfinder. The camera swivels ±60°, enabling creative perspectives.
The DxO ONE achieves a DxOMark Sensor Score of 70, and up to 85 when using the SuperRAWTM technology (described below), on par with full frame DSLRs and dramatically higher than any smartphone. DxOMark is the industry-standard protocol for camera and lens image quality assessment, used throughout the camera industry and photography press.
“The image quality of the DxO ONE is stunning,” said Jerome Meniere, CEO and founder of DxO. “It’s possible to shoot crystal-clear images under moonlight, which is incredible for a camera this small. The shallow depth of field and bokeh of the lens at f/1.8 is absolutely perfect for portrait photography.”
A free iOS app enables control of the individual settings on the DxO ONE camera, including aperture (from f/1.8 to f/11), shutter speed (from 15s to 1/8000s), and ISO (from 100 to 51200). In addition to an Auto mode, the DxO ONE app offers various capture modes, including multiple Scene modes, Speed, Aperture Priority, or full Manual mode – and the camera interface automatically adapts to the selected mode for a unique user experience.
The DxO ONE also records outstanding videos at 1080p/30fps or 720p/120fps.
In addition to the built-in microSDTM memory card, photos or video can be automatically stored in the iOS camera roll, where they are immediately displayed on the iPhone’s or iPad’s beautiful high-resolution screen, and can be instantly shared to Facebook®, Instagram®, and Twitter®, leveraging the iPhone’s natural connectivity.
By default, the DxO ONE automatically keeps the valuable high-dynamic RAW ‘digital negative’ files, enabling post-production editing flexibility in RAW conversion programs like DxO OpticsPro and Adobe® Lightroom®.
For the ultimate in noise-free image quality – even in very low light – users can choose to capture images in DxO’s new SuperRAW format. A SuperRAW file is the result of 4 RAW frames captured in quick succession. When the DxO ONE camera is connected to a Mac or PC, the DxO Connect companion software automatically merges the four images together using the very latest in spatial and temporal noise reduction.
“The DxO ONE leverages all of the imaging technologies that we’ve been perfecting for well over a decade,” explained Frederic Guichard, DxO’s Chief Image Scientist. “It brings together mobile imaging miniaturization technologies with a large 1-inch sensor and state-of-the-art software image processing.”
“Being image lovers at DxO, we have built the camera we dreamed of for ourselves and could not find anywhere else: uncompromised image quality always available in our pocket,” concluded Jerome Meniere, CEO and founder of DxO. “We believe that, as the first truly connected camera, the DxO ONE opens a completely new era in digital imaging and we can’t wait to see what incredible images photographers around the world will be able to create with it.”
Pricing & Availability
In the US, the DxO ONE can be pre-ordered today from www.dxo.com, with shipments planned to begin in September. Pre-order and availability dates for other countries are available on DxO’s website.
The DxO ONE is offered at a price of $599. For a limited time, the DxO ONE comes with free licenses of two award-winning RAW image processing software, DxO OpticsPro (ELITE Edition, sold separately for $199), and DxO FilmPack (ELITE Edition, sold separately for $129), which digitally reproduces the look and feel of analog films.