Olympus is rumored to hold a product launch event on September 15.
The major announcement will include the silver OM-D E-M1 camera, new E-M1 firmware update version 2.0.0 and the long-waited M.Zuiko ED 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro lens.
The rumor mill already updated that the new E-PL7 and the 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens will be announced in seperate dates. Now the mid-range zoom is expected to arrive on September 15 along with the silver version E-M1 which will also include the new firmware update.
See our previous coverage for the silver E-M1, new E-M1 firmware and 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens details below.
Olympus Silver E-M1, New E-M1 Firmware and 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO Lens Coming on September 15
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 PRO Lens Details
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro will be the new mid-range zoom lens and become the second lens in the PRO series after 12-40 f/2.8 PRO. The price for the upcoming Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens rumored around $1,500 for US.
Silver E-M1 and New Firmware Update Details
The silver version Olympus OMD E-M1 is coming (See the first leaked image). The Silver E-M1 will come packed with the big firmware upgrade and it will also be available for the current Black version too.
The new E-M1 firmware will be big and the latest version 2.0 will probably feature 4K video recording. E-M1 Firmware Version 2.0 features expected are as follows.
- Higher Bitrate (similar to the GH4, also for the 1080p too)
- 4K video recording (FullHD, HD recording mode)
- Slow motion mode at 240fps and 120fps
- New codec (Panasonic patent, AVC-I-U)
- Framerate control (24p,25p,30p,50p,60p, including the slow motion one)
- Updated ColourCreator
- FullHD 4:2:2 in MJPEG mode too
- Uncompressed HDMI with 4K support
- More manual control during recording mode
- Better mic control
- UHS-2 support (improvement of the UHS support)
- Improvement of the Wifi control (including a live control)
- A lot of picture improvement and art filter update
Olympus is planning to introduce new PRO-series lenses for Micro Four Thirds cameras. Along with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO lens announcement, Olympus may show the 7-14mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 PRO lenses as mockup and update their lens roadmap.
In the meantime upcoming Panasonic GM5 and LX100 cameras with Micro Four Thirds image sensors is rumored to be announced on September 15.