Olympus is rumored to hold a product launch event on September 15.
The major announcement will include the silver OM-D E-M1 camera, new E-M1 firmware update version 2.0.0 and the long-waited M.Zuiko ED 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro lens.
The rumor mill already updated that the new E-PL7 and the 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens will be announced in seperate dates. Now the mid-range zoom is expected to arrive on September 15 along with the silver version E-M1 which will also include the new firmware update.
See our previous coverage for the silver E-M1, new E-M1 firmware and 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens details below.
Olympus Silver E-M1, New E-M1 Firmware and 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO Lens Coming on September 15
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 PRO Lens Details
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro will be the new mid-range zoom lens and become the second lens in the PRO series after 12-40 f/2.8 PRO. The price for the upcoming Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens rumored around $1,500 for US.
Silver E-M1 and New Firmware Update Details
The silver version Olympus OMD E-M1 is coming (See the first leaked image). The Silver E-M1 will come packed with the big firmware upgrade and it will also be available for the current Black version too.
The new E-M1 firmware will be big and the latest version 2.0 will probably feature 4K video recording. E-M1 Firmware Version 2.0 features expected are as follows.
- Higher Bitrate (similar to the GH4, also for the 1080p too)
- 4K video recording (FullHD, HD recording mode)
- Slow motion mode at 240fps and 120fps
- New codec (Panasonic patent, AVC-I-U)
- Framerate control (24p,25p,30p,50p,60p, including the slow motion one)
- Updated ColourCreator
- FullHD 4:2:2 in MJPEG mode too
- Uncompressed HDMI with 4K support
- More manual control during recording mode
- Better mic control
- UHS-2 support (improvement of the UHS support)
- Improvement of the Wifi control (including a live control)
- A lot of picture improvement and art filter update
Olympus is planning to introduce new PRO-series lenses for Micro Four Thirds cameras. Along with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO lens announcement, Olympus may show the 7-14mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 PRO lenses as mockup and update their lens roadmap.