Egami has spotted two patents filed by Canon. The new patent describes EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM telephoto zoom lens and the already announced the EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM.
The next L series lens is rumored to be the replacement for the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM model. The highly anticipated announcement of the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II is expected to be in August, before the Photokina show this year.
So this patent could refer to any 100-400 replacement with an Ultrasonic Motor instead of an STM.
Canon Patent for EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
- Patent Publication No. 2014-102462
- Publication date 2014.6.5
- Filing date 2012.11.22
- Example 1
- Zoom ratio 4.24
- Focal length f = 56.90-133.00-241.28mm
- Fno. 4.12-5.04-5.83
- Half angle ω = 13.50-5.86-3.24 °
- Image height 13.66mm
- 154.33-176.38-191.20mm overall length of the lens
- BF 41.21mm
- Example 5
- Zoom ratio 3.73
- Focal length f = 104.59-199.99-389.99mm
- Fno. 4.58-5.03-5.87
- Half angle ω = 11.69-6.17-3.18 °
- Image height 21.64mm
- 245.09-285.06-308.91mm overall length of the lens
- BF 68.73mm