Nikon today officially announced the Nikon 1 J4 mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. The new J4 mirrorless shooter sports new sensor, improved AF system, and Wi-Fi.
The Nikon 1 J4 features the same new 18.4-megapixel CMOS sensor as used in the new Nikon 1 V3, a wide light sensitivity range of ISO 160–12800, and new EXPEED 4A image processor with an improved Hybrid AF system. The AF system now has 171 contrast detect and 105 phase detect points, which allow for nearly 100% coverage across the frame.
The mirrorless compact J4 sports an aluminum housing and has a 3″, 1.04 million dot touchscreen LCD for composing and reviewing your photos. The camera can record video at 1080/60p and includes built-in Wi-Fi feature. Nikon is now using microSD cards to keep the size small.
Nikon 1 J4 Price & Availability
Nikon 1 J4 Mirrorless Camera body only price is $596.95. The Nikon J4 will start shipping from May 29, 2014.
Nikon 1 J4 Mirrorless Camera Officially Announced
London, UK, 10th April 2014 – Nikon today adds the speedy Nikon 1 J4 to its growing range of portable Nikon 1 system cameras.
Perfect for those who won’t let life pass them by, the Nikon 1 J4’s powerful combination of acclaimed technology, extraordinary speed, and hassle-free operation leaves nothing to chance. Whether you want to record your baby’s first steps or a photo finish, this is an exceptionally quick system camera that captures the thrills of life with precision. Nikon’s game-changing hybrid AF system now boasts 171 autofocus points, 105 of which are phase-detection points that lock onto movement at breakneck speed. With continuous shooting speeds faster than a D-SLR and remarkably short shooting time lag, the Nikon 1 J4 is ready to capture the action.
The camera boasts the same new 18.4-megapixel CMOS sensor as used in the new Nikon 1 V3, a wide light sensitivity range of ISO 160–12800, and Nikon’s new EXPEED 4A image processor—all working to ensure even low light photos and movies are beautifully detailed. The super responsive touchscreen lets you do everything with a tap or a finger swipe, and creative shooting modes offer intuitive artistic freedom; built-in Wi-Fi makes it easy to connect, share, and create on the go. Your perfect movie partner, the portable Nikon 1 J4 harnesses the full potential of its phase-detection AF system to capture precisely focused action footage, and new movie modes put the cinematographer in you centre stage. Fully compatible with the growing range of 1 NIKKOR lenses, the Nikon 1 J4 gives you the freedom to swap perspectives with ease, and the new 1 NIKKOR VR 10–30mm f/3.5–5.6 PD-ZOOM kit lens ensures you’re ready to capture stunning images right out of the box. As the world’s first interchangeable lens with an electronically controlled lens cover1, this new kit lens delivers instant shooting and superior portability.
Thuan Bui, Product Manager for Nikon 1 range at Nikon UK, says: “The new Nikon 1 J4 is perfect for active photographers who want more from their photography: unbelievable AF speed, lightning fast continuous shooting, and the new CMOS sensor combine with intuitive touchscreen operation and exciting creative functions to offer the ultimate in fast, portable shooting. Plus the growing range of interchangeable 1 NIKKOR lenses means you can get creative with your photography using different focal ranges for new perspectives. Small, solid, and a pleasure to hold, the Nikon 1 J4 is a system camera that delivers quality performance, effortless handling, and a distinct sense of style.”
With a large 18.4-megapixel CMOS sensor and ISO 160–12800, you can trust your memories to the Nikon 1 J4. Designed without an optical low-pass filter, the fast CX-format sensor makes the most of every megapixel to deliver richly detailed images even when you shoot in dim light. You can crop photos without losing any detail, and movies are sharp and clear. The EXPEED 4A dual-engine image processor ensures high-speed operation and exceptional results: one engine enables superior noise reduction, extraordinary sharpness, and richly graded images. The other ensures fast, reliable performance and seamless continuous shooting.
Incredible speed—breathtaking action
Ready in an instant, the Nikon 1 J4 won’t let you down when the action speeds up. Faster than a D-SLR, the camera offers blazingly quick continuous shooting speeds of up to 20 fps with continuous autofocus, and the camera can snap 20 RAW format images at up to 60 fps with focus fixed at the first frame. Every one of those split-second wonders is captured with pinpoint precision thanks to the Nikon 1 hybrid AF system, which uses 171 autofocus points (increased from 135 points) to lock quickly onto your subject. An impressive 105 phase-detection AF points—the same kind of AF as used in D-SLRs—are evenly spaced across the middle of the frame for spectacular action focusing and sharp movie shooting. Contrast-detect AF points extend to the edge of the frame and enable remarkably sharp detail, even in difficult lighting situations. Built to let you capture moments that come and go in a heartbeat, the camera responds instantaneously and the 1 NIKKOR VR 10–30mm f/3.5–5.6 PD-ZOOM kit lens enhances shooting speed by extending the instant you turn the camera on and retracting the moment you turn it off.
Touch panel simplicity
Equipped with a super responsive touchscreen and built-in Wi-Fi, the small, fast, and perfectly formed Nikon 1 J4 is a joy to use. The electrostatic 7.5-cm (3.0-in.) 1037k-dot LCD touchscreen enables you to focus, shoot, and adjust key settings, or preview creative functions, simply by tapping the screen. You can also combine touch operation with conventional controls: select the AF point by tapping on the monitor, then shoot with the shutter-release button. Built-in Wi-Fi makes it easy to do more with your images via a smart device: Send high-quality images straight from the camera to your smartphone or tablet for instant sharing², store images on your smart device, or access creative photo apps. A pleasure to be seen with, the exquisite minimal design boasts precisely squared, seamless edges that enhance the beauty of the camera’s aluminium body.
From Full HD movies to colourful travelogues, Nikon 1 is your perfect movie partner. The smart choice for fuss-free filming, the Nikon 1 J4 shoots smooth action footage and boasts exciting movie modes that make it easy to add a touch of cinematic magic. As with all Nikon 1 cameras, the Nikon 1 J4 lets you capture high-resolution stills while filming simply by pressing the shutter-release button; Nikon’s new Auto Image Capture function analyses every frame and automatically snaps photos when conditions are best. New movie modes make it easy to create arresting clips: energise street scenes with Fast Motion, put an animated stop-motion feel on the passage of time with Jump Cut, or get expressive with to-the-point 4-Second Movie clips (you can stitch 8 together). Film in advanced movie mode and you can achieve dramatic effects with Slow Motion, a function that plays back a three-second, 120 fps HD movie clip over 12 seconds.
Nikon 1 innovations
Original Nikon 1 innovations offer quick and easy ways to always get the best shot or turn the ordinary into the extraordinary in-camera. The acclaimed Best Moment Capture mode now features Nikon’s new Active Selection function, which snaps up to 20 full-resolution shots in less than a second and lets you choose the one to keep. The all-new Creative Palette, available in the camera’s Creative Mode, offers a new way to apply artistic, studio-quality filters to photos before you shoot. Creative Palette adjusts brightness, saturation, and white balance as it cycles through various effects: all you need to do is slide your finger around the ring on the touchscreen, or rotate the multi selector, and the on-screen image changes to show you what you will capture the moment you take the shot.
Change perspectives with Nikon’s range of premium 1 NIKKOR lenses. All 1 NIKKOR lenses deliver the kind of high-performance optics you’ve come to expect from Nikon, and they are all optimised for movie recording. Their compact size and light weight contribute to the Nikon 1 system’s convenient portability, without sacrificing image quality. Pack the 1 NIKKOR 30–110mm lens to capture distant subjects. Grab the compact and stylish 10–100mm zoom lens with wide-angle capability for superb versatility, or use the 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm prime lens for portraits with smooth bokeh.
Summary of key features:
- Large 18.4-megapixel CMOS sensor: fast CX-format sensor designed without an optical low-pass filter. Sharply captures fine textures and renders clean, crisp images.
- ISO 160–12800: auto ISO extends from 160–6400, and you can increase sensitivity to ISO 12800. Two sophisticated noise reduction settings reduce noise when shooting at ISO 6400 or 12800.
- EXPEED 4A: keeps you shooting spectacular images and HD movies at high speed.
- Wi-Fi enabled: connect, share, and create. Quickly and easily share high-quality Nikon 1 shots, or tap into a world of creative photo apps via your smart device.2
- Touchscreen operation: electromagnetic 7.5-cm (3.0-in.), 1037k-dot LCD monitor.
- Advanced hybrid AF: 171-point AF system. Boasts 105 phase action points that lock onto action with incredible speed and precision.
- Lightning-fast fps: shoot at up to 20 fps with continuous AF, or snap 20 RAW images at up to 60 fps with focus fixed at the first frame.
- Movie magic: Full HD (1080p) movies (aspect ratio 16:9) at 60p/30p frame rates. Electronic VR enables blur-free footage for HD movies shot at 1080/30p or 720/30p. Capture high-resolution stills while filming, and view HD movies recorded at 120 fps in extreme slow motion.
- Cinematic movie modes: Fast Motion, Jump Cut, and 4-Second Movie.
- Nikon 1 innovations: Best Moment Capture (with the new Active Selection, Smart Photo Selector, and Slow View), Motion Snapshot.
- Creative Palette: apply artistic, studio-quality filters to photos before you shoot via the touchscreen or the camera’s multi selector.
- Portable Nikon 1 design: perfectly minimal, irresistible looks. The remarkably small and lightweight aluminium body is available in modern white, brushed black, silver and orange.
- 1 NIKKOR kit lens: keep the action in focus with the 1 NIKKOR VR 10–30mm f/3.5–5.6 PD-ZOOM lens.
Selected optional accessories:
- WP-N3 Waterproof Case: keep on shooting to depths of 45 m. Designed to accommodate the Nikon 1 J4 with the 1 NIKKOR VR 10–30mm PD-ZOOM lens or the 1 NIKKOR 11–27.5mm f/3.5–5.6 lens attached.
- SB-N10 Underwater Speedlight: compact flash unit that lets you add powerful bursts of light to murky underwater environments.
- Nikon 1 body cases and body case sets: protect the camera, or the camera with a lens attached.
- FT1 Mount Adapter: lets you attach a NIKKOR D-SLR lens to your Nikon 1 camera.
- EN-EL22 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- MH-29 Battery Charger
- UC-E20 USB Cable
¹As of February 7, 2014: among power-drive zoom lenses for digital cameras with interchangeable lenses. Based on Nikon research.
²To use the built-in Wi-Fi, simply download the free Wireless Mobile Utility to your smartphone or tablet. Compatible with iOS™ and Android™ smart devices, the utility can be downloaded for free from Google Play™ and the Apple App Store™. Android, Google, Google Play, YouTube, and other marks are trademarks of Google Inc.