Sony has released a new firmware update for the QX series lens cameras Sony QX100 and QX10. The update adds Full HD video recording and an expanded ISO range for both the QX10 and QX100, while the latter also receives a shutter priority mode.
Sony PlayMemories Mobile app also upgraded to version 4.0 and has more seamless viewing of photos. The upgrade also promises double the performance on iOS devices.
Sony PMM 4.0 app can be downloaded right away while the firmware update for QX series lens cameras will be released in January. See the press release below.
Sony QX100 and QX10 Firmware Updates Now Available for Download
Sony QX10 and QX100 Lens Camera Price
Sony DSC-QX10 lens camera price is $248.00. Sony DSC-QX100 lens camera price is $498.00.
Sonyy Press Release :
New PlayMemories Mobile™ App Version 4.0 Adds Photo Browsing, Faster Connection Speeds; New Firmware Adds Full HD video shooting, Expanded ISO Range and more
SAN DIEGO, Dec. 18, 2013 – Sony Electronics has announced plans for a software and firmware update designed to improve the overall usability, speed and functionality of the Cyber-shot QX100 and QX10 “Lens-style” Cameras.
The software update for the PlayMemories Mobile™ application – Version 4.0 – will work with all Sony Wi-Fi enabled cameras in addition to the Cyber-shot QX series, and will be available immediately in both Google Play™ and App Store™. The updated application will feature:
- Embedded Photo Browser – A “Quick Viewer” photo browser has been added to the PlayMemories Mobile application, which will allow for seamless navigation between shooting images and viewing images in playback mode.
- Improved Speed and Functionality – The newest version of the application will have improved connectivity speed when linking to devices running the Apple iOS™ platform. More specifically, connection start up time will be approximately twice as fast compared to previous versions of the PlayMemories Mobile application.
Sony will be releasing another software update in Spring 2014 to improve connectivity speed with Android devices.
CAMERA FIRMWARE UPDATE
Additionally, there will be a firmware update for QX cameras in January which will add a variety of exciting capabilities including:
- Full HD Movie Recording (QX100 and QX10): Both of the Cyber-shot QX Series cameras will have the ability to shoot Full HD 1080p video (1920×1080@30p in MP4) after the firmware update.
- Shutter Priority (“S”) Mode (QX100 only): The Shutter Priority (“S”) mode will be added to the QX100 camera to allow direct access control to shutter speed.
- Expanded ISO Shooting Range (QX100 and QX10): Each of the cameras will be able to shoot at higher ISO settings for greater versatility in low-light conditions. The QX10 camera will be expanded from max ISO 1600 to max ISO 3200. The QX100 camera will be expanded from max ISO 3200 to max ISO 12800.
|Mode||Now||After update||Now||After update|
|Program auto||ISO||160 – 3200||160 – 12800||100 – 1600||100 – 3200|
|Aperture priority||ISO||160 – 3200||160 – 12800||N/A||N/A|
|Shutter priority||ISO||N/A||160 – 12800||N/A||N/A|
|N/A||30 – 1/2000 s||N/A||N/A|